- Endangered Pleasures
by Barbara Holland, 1995
A wonderful two page essay on going barefoot. Anyone who enjoys going barefoot will relate.
- The Barefoot League
by James L.M. Bain, 1914
This paper, written in 1914, highlights the virtues and delights of barefoot walking. At first, it might seem to have little to do with bare feet, but keep reading.
- The Barefoot Path in the Western Contemplative Tradition
by Ken Rice, 1997
Historical research and views on bare feet through the eyes of western religion.
- A Case For Bare Feet
by Paul J. Lucas, Michael M. Berrow, Richard K. Frazine, and Robert A. Neinast
Despite the fact that laws and health department regulations do not prohibit bare feet, people who go barefoot have increasingly and unnecessarily faced discrimination and even hostility. This paper presents the natural and healthy benefits of going barefoot and also explains the harm shoes can cause.
- Barefoot Rights
by Myranya Werlemann, 1999
Why “No shoes, no service” policies make no sense. Let Myranya explain…
- Going Barefoot: It’s Good to Touch the Ground
by John Whipple
An intelligent blog article on why the author prefers to go barefoot.
- Sole Exposed
by Mark P. Davies, September 2015
A thoughtful article in Spirit of Change Magazine as the author reflects on the often overlooked benefits and delights of going barefoot, especially outdoors.
- 14 Reasons I don’t Wear Shoes (alternate title, 14 Reasons To Go Barefoot) by Kathleen Quiring (2014). Also, another related article by Kathleen Quiring: “5 Reasons to Let Children Go Barefoot” (2014)
- Children’s Footwear: Launching Site for Adult Foot Ills–Its time to advocate shoelessness for kids
by Dr. William Rossi, DVM, October, 2002
A comprehensive review of the subject by a respected expert, in the Podiatry Management journal.
- You Walk Wrong
by Adam Sternbergh, 2008
A New York magazine article on the problems with shoe wearing and the benefits of the alternative–going barefoot.
- Why I Dare To Go Barefoot
by Angela Kelly, The Express, December, 2011
The story of Bea Marshall, inspirational speaker, coach and lifestyle barefooter (also featured on our “People” page).
- Q & A With Woman Who Lives and Runs Barefoot (Even in the Snow)
by Natalie Diblasio, February 25, 2015
The story of Trissa King, who has lived completely barefoot since 2011. Topics include discrimination and also running in the snow.
- “Schoolchildren with no shoes on ‘do better and behave better in the classroom’, research shows”
by Javier Espinoza, education editor, The Telegraph (May, 2016)
The article, siting new research by Bournemouth University, states, “Schoolchildren who attend their lessons wearing no shoes are likely to obtain better grades and behave better than those who wear them, a decade-long academic research has revealed.“
The article provides the rationale for no shoes and the observed results, based on a study of schools in Scandinavia, England, Australia and New Zealand. Dr. Heppell’s related website: “Shoeless Learning Places”
A related follow-up article: Take your shoes off! Barefoot kids do better at school – by Angela Mollard, News.com.au (June 3, 2016)
- Why Barefoot Is Best for Children – The Guardian article (2010)
- For online articles related to medical information, see our Medical Research page
- For additional article links to other barefoot topics such as running, legal issues, etc., check our related sub-pages.