- “Schoolchildren with no shoes on ‘do better and behave better in the classroom’, research shows”
by Javier Espinoza, education editor, The Telegraph (May, 2016)
The article, citing new research by Bournemouth University, states, “Schoolchildren who attend their lessons wearing no shoes are likely to obtain better grades and behave better than those who wear them, a decade-long academic research has revealed.“
The article provides the rationale for no shoes and the observed results, based on a study of schools in Scandinavia, England, Australia and New Zealand. Dr. Heppell’s related website: “Shoeless Learning Places”
Follow-up article: Take your shoes off! Barefoot kids do better at school – by Angela Mollard, News.com.au (June 3, 2016)
- Sole Exposed
by Mark P. Davies (Sept., 2015) – A thoughtful article in Spirit of Change Magazine as the author reflects on the often overlooked benefits and delights of going barefoot, especially outdoors.
- Q & A With Woman Who Lives and Runs Barefoot (Even in the Snow)
by Natalie Diblasio (Feb., 2015) – The story of Trissa King, who has lived completely barefoot since 2011. Topics include discrimination and also running in the snow.
- 14 Reasons I don’t Wear Shoes (alternate title, 14 Reasons To Go Barefoot) by Kathleen Quiring (2014). Another related article by Kathleen Quiring: “5 Reasons to Let Children Go Barefoot” (2014)
- Going Barefoot: It’s Good to Touch the Ground
by John Whipple (May, 2012) – An intelligent blog article on why the author prefers to go barefoot.
- Why I Dare To Go Barefoot
by Angela Kelly, The Express (Dec., 2011) – The story of Bea Marshall, inspirational speaker, coach and lifestyle barefooter (also featured on our “People” page).
- Why Barefoot Is Best for Children – The Guardian article (2010)
- You Walk Wrong
by Adam Sternbergh (2008) – A New York magazine article on the problems with shoe wearing and the benefits of the alternative–going barefoot.
- Children’s Footwear: Launching Site for Adult Foot Ills–Its time to advocate shoelessness for kids
by Dr. William Rossi, DVM (Oct., 2002) – A comprehensive review of the subject by a respected expert, in the Podiatry Management journal.
- Barefoot Rights
by Myranya Werlemann (1999) – Why “No shoes, no service” policies make no sense. Let Myranya explain…
- A Case For Bare Feet
by Paul J. Lucas, Michael M. Berrow, Richard K. Frazine, and Robert A. Neinast (1999) – Despite the fact that laws and health department regulations do not prohibit bare feet, people who go barefoot have increasingly and unnecessarily faced discrimination and even hostility. This paper presents the natural and healthy benefits of going barefoot and also explains the harm shoes can cause.
- The Barefoot Path in the Western Contemplative Tradition
by Ken Rice (1997) – Historical research and views on bare feet through the eyes of western religion.
- Endangered Pleasures
by Barbara Holland (1995) – A wonderful two page essay on going barefoot. Anyone who enjoys going barefoot will relate.
- The Barefoot League
by James L.M. Bain (1914) – This paper, written over 100 years ago, highlights the virtues and delights of barefoot walking. At first, it might seem to have little to do with bare feet, but keep reading.
- For online articles related to medical information, see our Medical Research page
- For additional article links to other barefoot topics such as running, legal issues, etc., check our related sub-pages.