Q17: What can I say to passers-by if they make a comment?
If it's just a comment, ignoring them is always an option. If they ask a question, ignoring them is still an option.
However, being polite usually helps and some barefooters have gotten into some interesting conversations. Maybe you can even make a few converts!
The responses get nastier or weirder the farther down the list they are. It depends on your mood at the time. (Some of the responses can be used in response to more than one comment.)
- You're not!
- You're observant!
- You're right!
- Thanks for the tip.
- No shit, Sherlock.
Why aren't you wearing shoes?
- Don't like 'em.
- They make my feet sweat/stink.
- My feet like the fresh air.
- My feet were hot.
- One less thing to do in the morning.
- Why aren't you wearing gloves [hat]?
- To annoy people like you.
- Why do you care?
- I'm allergic to them.
- I'm not wearing a tie either.
- I'm off-duty.
- I'm opposed to wasting petrochemicals/leather.
- I'm performing a scientific foot-toughening experiment.
- If I don't keep in contact with the ground, I build up a static charge.
- My feet were jealous of my hands.
- I'll give you three-thousand guesses.
- They are a conspiracy by multi-national plastic and leather merchants.
- I knew I had forgotten something!
Why are you barefoot?
- I like the way it feels.
- It's much more comfortable.
- I think it looks cool.
- I want to toughen my feet.
- It's good for my feet.
- Because feet are beautiful.
- It gives me this wonderful feeling of freedom.
- I want keep in touch with the earth.
- Because I'm not wearing shoes [duh!].
- Try and work it out.
- Because I m not concerned with your contempt.
- Because you don't pay my salary.
- I'm in a time-warp from the '60s.
Where are your shoes?
- At home [where they belong].
- I don't know. [Have you seen them?]
- Somewhere else.
- What do you mean? These are God's Reeboks.
- On vacation.
- Don't have any.
- My what?
- What are shoes?
- Up there. [Said while pointing up.]
- Aliens took them.
Aren't your feet cold?
- Not unduly.
- No...My feet are cool!
- Obviously not.
- Aren't your feet hot?
- Very comfortable too.
- Do you like them? My parents made them for me.
What can I do if I develop
"cracks" in my soles?
Is it legal to